Once upon a time, I told myself that I would never again eat a bad sandwich. The world is full of these sad, dry, boring bread/meat/cheese combinations, but not at my house.
These are a new family favorite. My best friend came over for dinner and tried them. Her response was, “It’s so good, I don’t want to swallow this bite.”
So, in her honor, and at her request, I post this yumminess.
If you choose to use fresh jalapeños in this recipe, the instructions will be at the bottom of this recipe*. Just know that you can absolutely, successfully use jalapeños from a jar if you prefer or have less time.
Fry up some bacon. I fried up about 10-12 pieces, drained them and set them aside. Then chop them into small pieces.
Mix one softened brick (8 oz.) of cream cheese with 1 T. dried ranch dressing powder.
Soften enough butter to spread onto one side of each piece of a loaf of bread. Put the buttered sides together and lay the pairs out onto a platter or large surface.
Spread each set of buttered slices with the herbed cream cheese, and then top it off with a slice of cheddar cheese.
Add as many peppers as you’d like to each sandwich and divide the bacon up evenly onto the sandwiches.
Now, grill these babies up! Place them buttered side down onto a non-stick skillet, and remember, the key to a good grilled cheese of any kind is to grill it low and slow. I set my burner to medium low and give each sandwich time to turn the perfect golden brown.
If we have them, a fresh, sliced tomato adds to the sandwich perfection.
Serve them warm (and try to share).
- (amounts vary)
- Fresh jalapeños (or you can definitely use jalapeños from a jar)
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- Cheddar Cheese Slices
- 1 T. ranch dressing seasoning (dry mix)
- Fry bacon, drain and set aside.When cool enough to handle, chop into small pieces.
- Mix cream cheese with 1 T. dried ranch powder.
- Soften enough butter to spread on one side of each piece of a loaf of bread. Put the buttered sides together and lay the pieces out onto a platter or large surface.
- Spread each set of buttered slices with the herbed cream cheese, and then top it off with a slice of Cheddar cheese.
- Add jalapeño pepper slices to each sandwich and add chopped bacon pieces as well.
- Grill each sandwich buttered sides down over low-medium heat so you can grill it low and slow and melt the middle while you get the outsides beautifully golden brown.
*If using fresh, begin by roasting several jalapenos. How you do this is up to you, but I just pop them in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Brush them in olive oil first and roast them until they look charred.
As soon as they’re done in the oven, pop them into a paper or plastic bag and let them steam until they cool down. Then, with gloves on, peel the skin off and the seeds out and chop those guys into little pieces, and set them aside.