When bacon flavors the chicken, you know it has to be good, right? Seriously, this is one of those dinners that’s just too good to be true. Quite possibly in the top three favorite dinners at my house.
It’s way too easy to make to be something you could either serve guests or whip together for an easy weeknight meal. You can make it to serve one or twenty. Years ago, I only made it when company was coming over. Now, I throw it in the oven on say, a Tuesday, and it makes all of us happy. Even my non-chicken-lover. Now, doesn’t that say something?
I went to my local butcher and bought 3 big boneless, skinless chicken breasts, brought them home and butterflied them. How to butterfly? Well, you are making each breast thinner–cut in half to make one breast into two thin pieces. Here is a photo courtesy of Good Housekeeping to show you what I mean. This way you get more bang for your buck as well as having chicken that is easier to stuff and cook evenly.
So, after cutting these I have 6 pieces of chicken with which to work. Next, I mixed some spices into cream cheese to flavor it. 8 oz. of cream cheese works great for these 6 pieces of chicken, but the amount is completely adjustable.
Into 8 oz. of cream cheese, I added the following:
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
and 1/2 tsp. onion powder.
I used my mixer to beat this all together and put about 2 T. of the seasoned cream cheese in the middle of each piece of chicken.
Roll the chicken up and wrap it with a piece of bacon. I try to wrap the bacon around the open end of the chicken to contain some of the cream cheese while it bakes and melts, but it can only be contained a bit. It’s just gonna be a little messy. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake the whole thing on a ridged cookie sheet in a preheated 400 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour or until chicken is cooked through. Turn the broiler on your oven and put the chicken under the broiler for 2-3 minutes or until the bacon has crisped up to your liking. Watch it closely! It goes from done to burned pretty quickly!
To serve, spoon up a little of the spilled, cheesy sauce over each breast. You won’t want it to go to waste! I baked potatoes, both sweet and Idaho with a pat of butter and salt and pepper in the same oven for the same amount of time, added a salad and dinner was served. Isn’t that easy? And so perfectly delicious.
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 6 slices bacon
- Extra salt and pepper to taste
- Butterfly 3 chicken breasts (see picture above) to make 6 thin pieces.
- In a small bowl mix cream cheese and the spices.
- Place 2 T. of herbed cream cheese in the center of each piece of chicken.
- Roll the chicken and wrap it with a piece of raw bacon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven on a rimmed baking sheet 45 min or so until chicken is cooked through.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes to crisp the bacon.
- To serve, spoon a little of the spilled cream cheese from the pan over each serving.