For this post, I started with a picture because, well, I don’t think I need to explain why. I mean, really. Would you look at that juicy chicken practically dripping with BBQ sauce perfection?
And because it’s a bone-in chicken thigh, it’s cheap, cheap, cheap to make and serve a crowd. Wait ’til these guys hit the sales flyer at your grocer and buy a bunch. Freeze some for later and then make these any ol’ day of the week and pretend it’s summer and a holiday. But please don’t wait for a summer holiday. That would be tragic.
I must admit, Pioneer Woman helped me out with the cook times. I always get a little nervous with bone-in chicken bake times. So when someone has a fool-proof method for me, sign me up.
And no grill needed. Just an oven and zero guesswork. Beautiful.
To makes these lovelies, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spread tin foil over a rimmed baking sheet and brush it with olive oil. Place 12 chicken thighs skin side down on the pan and bake for 25 minutes.
While the chicken is in the oven, make up your sauce by adding
3 c. of your favorite barbecue sauce,
1/2 c. jelly –you can use apple, peach, or even orange marmalade
1 clove minced garlic in a saucepan over medium heat.
When the chicken has completed round one in the oven, take it out and brush the sauce over the tops of all of the pieces. Carefully flip them over with a spatula so they don’t lose their skin and brush the other side with sauce as well. Return them to the oven for 7 more minutes.
Remove from the oven and brush both sides again and bake another 7 minutes.
One more time, remove from the oven and brush them, this time turning the oven temp up to 425 degrees. Roast 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Let rest 10 minutes.
Now, if you feel really amazing and decided to make these with THE Mac and Cheese and finish it off with, oh, say, some vanilla ice cream and this Occidental Hot Fudge, you might earn yourself an extra birthday present, or movie pick on movie night. Or, mother/father of the year award –hey, let’s dream big.
Seriously, this is drool-worthy food, folks. Just see if I’m right. 🙂
- 12 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 3 c. barbecue sauce (your choice of brands)
- ½ c. jam or jelly -- apple, peach, or orange marmalade
- 1 clove garlic
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread tin foil over a rimmed baking sheet and brush the tin foil with olive oil. Place 12 chicken thighs skin side down and bake 25 minutes. While the chicken bakes, make the sauce by mixing 3 c. of your favorite BBQ sauce, ½ c. jelly (apple, peach or orange marmalade) and 1 clove minced garlic in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove chicken from the oven after its first round and brush the sauce over the tops. Carefully, flip them all over and brush the other side with sauce. Return to oven for 7 more minutes.
- Remove and brush both sides and bake for 7 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and and brush them with sauce. Turn oven up to 425 degrees and bake 5-7 more minutes or until cooked through. Let rest 10 minutes.
Adapted from Pioneer Woman