If you make this soup and taste it, you will feel nourished. Guaranteed.
My husband says it may be the best soup yet. That’s high praise, indeed! Some folks have made my recipe and said it’s better than Panera’s! Don’t know about that, but I am saying this simple little soup is easily one of the yummiest things I make. It’s creamy and smooth and full of cheese soup amazingness.
Without further ado…
Add in 1/2 tsp. pepper.
Slowly whisk in1 1/4 c. milk until thickened.
Turn heat to low and add 8 oz. of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
and 1 lb. of cubed American cheese.
Once it’s all melted together, whisk it into the broccoli and broth.
- 1 large or two small heads of fresh broccoli
- 6 cups chicken broth or stock
- 6 T. butter
- 1 small onion
- ½ cup (heaping) flour
- 1¼ c. milk
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
- 16 oz. American cheese
- Chop broccoli into small pieces. Put them in a large pot with chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Chop a small onion finely.
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender.
- Whisk in flour and keep whisking 2-3 minutes to let the flour taste cook off.
- Slowly whisk in milk until the temperature comes to a low boil and the sauce thickens. Turn heat to low and add in the freshly grated Cheddar and cubed American cheeses.
- When all is melted beautifully, add it to the broccoli and both. Heat on low until thickened, stirring occasionally to keep it from scorching.