This girl hates spaghetti. I know. So weird. So, I rarely crave a red sauce meal — except THE Lasagna this one. Cheesy Ziti is a stand-by at our house. Meat and pasta meet prepared red sauce, mozzarella, and seasonings and with a quick mix and bake you have gooey, cheesy yum; it’s just kinda perfect. Because I can make it quickly, it’s easily adjustable to be vegetarian, and it doubles well for a crowd, I usually make two batches at a time and keep one in the freezer as a perfect meal for guests.
Begin by browning a pound of ground beef or sausage or a mix of the two with one small chopped onion; drain the grease.
Prepare pasta in salted water according to package directions; drain the water.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, mix 1–28 oz. jar of spaghetti sauce,
1 can Cheddar cheese soup,
1 tsp. pepper, and
1 tsp. Italian seasoning.
Fold in the cooked pasta,
and 2 c. of freshly grated mozzarella cheese.
Pour the whole mixture into a greased 9 x 13″ baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1 c. mozzarella.
Bake for 40 minutes or until heated through. Serve with Cheesy, Easy Garlic Bread and a salad for a mouth-watering, easy meal.
- 1 lb. pasta
- 1 lb. ground beef, sausage, or a mixture of the two
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1--28 oz. jar spaghetti sauce,
- 1 can Cheddar cheese soup
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning.
- 3 c. of freshly grated mozzarella cheese.
- Chop one small onion.
- Brown the beef (or sausage) with the onion. Drain.
- Boil the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir the spaghetti sauce, cheddar cheese soup, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Fold in 2 c. of the freshly grated mozzarella, the meat and the pasta.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13" baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 c. mozzarella on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes until gooey and heated through.
Adapted from a Pampered Chef Recipe entitled Cheesy Mostaccioli.