I made perfect, light, fluffy, lemony muffins today. As much as we all love lemon around here, I made some family members pretty darn happy. You can probably see why…
Foiled time and again by so-so recipes, I have been determined to find the right one. No cake mixes allowed and texture is key.
This recipe made 18 beautiful muffins so no need for arm-wrestling over them with plenty to go around.
Before you make them, you need to know that a key to perfect muffins and pancakes is not to overmix. It wrecks the texture, so be gentle with these little guys, okay?
To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Next, cream together 10 T. of softened butter
with 1 cup of sugar in your mixer for 2-3 minutes.
To that, add 2 eggs, one a time, beating well after each addition.
Next comes 1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice,
1 T. lemon zest
and 1 1/2 c. yogurt. I used a 6 oz. cup of organic lemon yogurt and 6 oz. of vanilla.
In a separate bowl, mix together the following dry ingredients:
3 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. poppy seeds
Add the dry ingredients to the first mixture and mix just until moistened. Again, be so gentle and don’t overmix!
Grease muffin tins (I use coconut oil spray), and fill about 2/3 full. The amount of muffins that you yield will vary depending on how full you fill each muffin cup as will the baking time.
I baked mine for 22 minutes exactly and checked them with a toothpick. Set your timer for 20 minutes and be prepared to go up to 25 minutes.
While they bake, prepare your glaze. Whisk 1-2 T. lemon juice into 1 c. powdered sugar until desired consistency. I like mine kinda thick so it drizzles well and stays put, for the most part.
Cool the muffins for about 10 minutes in the pan and then remove to a cooling rack.
While barely warm, use a pastry brush to coat with the icing and serve.
Pretty much perfect, and a lovely bright spot to your afternoon…
- 10 T. butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ c. yogurt (I used half lemon, half vanilla)
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 T. lemon zest
- 3 c. flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 T. poppy seeds
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1-2 T. lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar with a mixer for a full 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, on at a time, beating eel after each addition.
- Add in 1 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 T. lemon zest, and yogurt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds.
- Add the dry ingredients to the first mixture and mix just until moistened. Do not over mix.
- Grease muffin tins and fill ⅔ full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or so until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Prepare the glaze by whisking 1-2 T. lemon juice into 1 c powdered sugar until desired consistency.
- Cool the muffins for 10 minutes in the pan and then remove to a wire rack to cool.
- While the muffins are barely warm, drizzle with the glaze.
Sincere thanks to simplyrecipes.com upon whose recipe I based mine.