A crispy egg roll wrapper surrounds a savory blend of veggies, beans, seasoned chicken, a bit of sharp Cheddar cheese and crisp, salty bacon to make the best handheld lunch or snack you’ve had in a good, long while. Dip in sour cream, serve them with salsa and avocado and enjoy the deliciousness! This is how you make a few ingredients go a long way!
Seriously, just read the grocery list at the bottom and see how few ingredients you need to make 8 good-sized egg rolls. And the filling is very changeable depending on your taste. Feel free to sub in or out things you’d prefer. If you don’t like heat, don’t use jalapeños. I loved adding avocado as a garnish to mine and cilantro lovers, have a ball. (ew!)
Dipped in ranch and/or salsa, you can make your little dippers happy.
And my last little tip before we get started is to make up a double or triple recipe of all of the filling ingredients (except the cheese) and freeze them to use next time you want a quick lunch! Just defrost and fill some wrappers!
Okay, so here’s all you have to do. To begin, assemble all of the ingredients you will need — also called mise en place. 🙂
Dice up one chicken breast into very small pieces.
Chop 1/8- 1/4 c. of pickled jalapeños into small pieces.
Slice 3 green onions.
Dice 1/2 of a yellow, orange, or red pepper.
Also, have 1/2 c. black beans (I rinse mine), and 1/2 c. corn ready.
Shred 1/2 c. or so of Cheddar, Monterey Jack or a blend.
In a small bowl, beat one egg and have 6-8 egg roll wrappers ready.
Now fry up 3 slices of bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain off the grease. In the hot grease, sauté the diced chicken breast and 1 T. of taco seasoning for a few minutes until cooked through. Remove the chicken breast to the paper towel-lined plate as well.
In the same pan, to the hot grease, add the green onions, jalapeños, diced pepper, black beans and corn. To this add 1 additional Tablespoon of taco seasoning. I make my own so I know my ingredients. You can find Homemade Taco Seasoning right here!
Stir to coat with all of the pan drippings and goodness for 2 minutes or so and then add the chopped bacon and chicken back in as well.
Heat oil in a skillet. I use refined coconut oil (no coconut flavor, but tons of health benefits) and I begin with 1/3 c. or so and have more available to add as needed. Heat to medium.
Now to assemble.
On a clean surface, lay out one very fresh egg roll wrapper. Old ones will be sticky and impossible to use. Add 2-3 T. of filling to the bottom third of the wrapper. Sprinkle on just a bit of cheese.
Fold in the sides just a bit and roll once toward the top.
Before finishing the roll, use a silicone brush to add a strip of beaten egg to the top edge to make a seal. Using the egg like glue, seal the top edge to the rolled up egg roll.
Fry a few at a time until golden brown on each side, flipping to brown top, bottom, and sides. Remove to a platter. Serve hot with ranch and or salsa.
And that’s how you feed your family with one little chicken breast and some veggies! Easy, right? Wait until you taste them! Can’t wait to hear how you like them!
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 slices bacon
- 3 green onions
- ½ diced bell pepper (orange, yellow, or red)
- ¼ c. pickled jalapeños
- ⅓ c. black beans
- ⅓ c. corn
- 2 T. taco seasoning (Homemade Taco Seasoning)
- 1-4-1/2 c. freshly shredded cheese
- 6-8 egg roll wrappersRefined coconut oil for frying
- Prepare and assemble all ingredients. Chop chicken breast, jalapeños, peppers, and onions. Rinse black beans. Grate cheese and beat the egg. Have corn and egg roll wrappers at the ready.
- Fry bacon until crisp, and drain off all but 2 T. of the grease. In the hot grease, saute the chicken breast and 1 T. of the taco seasoning until cooked through. Remove the chicken to a paper towel lined plate.
- To the hot grease, add the onions, jalapeños, pepper, black beans, and corn. Add the additional taco seasoning. Sauté for 2 minutes or so and add the chicken and bacon back as well.
- In a clean, non-stick skillet add ⅓ c. or so of refined coconut oil and turn the heat to medium.
- Assemble the egg rolls by laying the wrapper on a clean surface. Add 2-3 T. of the filling to the bottom third of the wrapper. Sprinkle a bit of cheese. Fold in the sides and roll toward the top. before completing the roll, brush a bit of beaten egg along the top edge to make a seal. Press the sealed edge before frying.
- Fry a few at a time until golden brown on each side. Remove to a platter. Serve with ranch or salsa and sour cream.