Here’s a little slice of the Midwest for ya! There’s just something about this food that qualifies it in our family as classic comfort food. It’s super easy to make and easy to keep the ingredients on-hand. And if you’re like me, you use the best ingredients to keep this a meal that nourishes both body and mind!
To begin, chop up one small onion and brown it with 1-1/2 lbs. ground beef. Put two 10 oz. bags of frozen or two 15 oz. cans of green beans into the bottom of a 9×13 dish (or equivalent size).
Pour ground beef over the beans…
In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup sour cream,
1/2 cup milk,
and 1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup.
Add in 1/2 tsp. pepper.
You may want to add salt in at this point. I don’t because cream soups tend to be high in sodium. Layer this over the beef.
Grate up 8 oz. cheddar cheese (the sharper the better at my house) and layer that over the soup. But, save about 2 oz. for last.
Now, for the tots. Pour them on top and then add the remaining cheddar cheese.
If you’d like this as a freezer meal, make this in a foil pan. At this point in the preparation, cover the foil pan and freeze. To prepare, thaw in the fridge at least 24 hours (or until completely thawed). and then bake as directed.
Bake this goodness in a 425 degree preheated oven for 40 minutes. Let it sit for a few minutes before serving and voila! Comfort casserole at it’s finest!
And, don’t forget to put some ketchup on the table! My kids couldn’t eat it without it!
For those of you wondering how I to make this meal one that nourishes, as always, it’s always about the quality of ingredients. Any time you can substitute in better products, you make a choice to feed your body better nourishment. When I make this recipe, I use local, grass-fed beef, beans from my daughter’s garden that we froze, homemade cream of chicken soup, organic tater tots (yes, it’s a thing!) and a good quality cheese. This way we get food that both feels decadent and also makes us feel good about our choices. However you choose to do it, enjoy. :o)
- 1 small onion
- 1-1½ lbs. ground beef
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 20-30 oz. of frozen or canned green beans
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese
- 1 bag tater tots
- Chop the onion and brown it with the ground beef.
- Put the green beans in to the bottom of a 9x13" dish.
- Pour the ground beef over the beans.
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream milk, and the cream of chicken or mushroom soup. Add in the pepper.
- Grate the cheddar cheese and layer that over the soup, saving 2 oz. for the end.
- Pour the tater tots over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 40 minutes.