Easy, Cheesy Broccoli soup is the kind of soup that makes one feel nourished. And spoiled. And loved. And food-happy.
It’s creamy and smooth and full of cheese soup amazingness — plus broccoli. What’s not to love? And who knew it was possible to make cheese soup without any processed cheese?! Well, not only is it possible, but this from-scratch recipe made with just a few ingredients will satisfy that need you have for rich and creamy soup while nourishing you through and through.
Add in 1/2 tsp. pepper.
Slowly whisk in 1 1/4 c. milk until thickened.
Turn heat to low and add 8 oz. of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
and 4 oz cream cheese.
Once it’s all melted together, whisk the cooked broccoli and broth into the cheesy yum.
- 1 large or two small heads of fresh broccoli
- 6 cups chicken broth or stock
- 6 T. butter
- 1 small onion
- ½ cup (heaping) flour
- 1¼ c. milk
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- Chop broccoli into small pieces. Put them in a large pot with chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Chop a small onion finely.
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender.
- Whisk in flour and keep whisking 2-3 minutes to let the flour taste cook off.
- Slowly whisk in milk until the temperature comes to a low boil and the sauce thickens. Turn heat to low and add in the freshly grated Cheddar and cream cheese.
- When all is melted beautifully, add it to the broccoli and broth. Heat on low until thickened, stirring occasionally to keep it from scorching.