One of the easiest meals I can whip up at my house and make every single person happy is a frittata. Pretty much a crustless quiche, these beauties are perfectly packed with flavorful veggies, savory meat, and surrounded by fluffy eggs and sprinkled with cheese. Prepared in a cast iron skillet, this is a meal that can be ready in less than 20 minutes!
It’s ideal when I have guests because they make a lovely presentation in a skillet, or for a weeknight when I didn’t plan a meal ahead. It also makes a perfect brunch for a weekday or holiday.
The ingredients are extremely flexible and the amounts adjustable so you can pretty much add what sounds good to you and customize it to your fridge ingredients! This frittata was made with ham, but I have made the same recipe with a pound of ground sausage as well. Bacon would also be delicious!
To start, I dice up 3-4 medium potatoes,
1/2 bell pepper,
and 1-2 c. ham.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, whisk 8-10 eggs,
2 T. milk,
a couple dashes of hot sauce,
and salt and pepper to taste.
Add 2 T. butter to a 12″ cast iron skillet (or oven-safe heavy pan), and add the potatoes, onions, and pepper and begin to sauté until cooked through, but turning as little as possible to get nice brown edges on the potatoes.
Add the ham in (or browned sausage) and heat through.
Pour the egg mixture into the hot skillet and use a spatula to pull the edges of the egg mixture back into the pan as it begins to cook, When half set, move the skillet to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the frittata is puffed and golden.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle with 1 c. freshly shredded cheese, and fresh or dried chives or parsley.
Serve with Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins, or some delicious Glazed Orange Cranberry Muffins.
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 1 onion
- ½ bell pepper
- 1-2 c. ham or 1 lb. browned sausage
- 6-8 eggs
- 2 T. milk
- hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 T. butter
- 1 c. shredded cheese
- fresh or dried chives
- Dice potatoes, onion, pepper, and ham.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk eggs, milk, hot sauce, and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Saute potatoes, onion, pepper, until browned and soft.
- Add ham and warm through.
- Pour the egg mixture into the hot skillet and use a spatula to pull the edges of the egg mixture back into the pan as it begins to cook.
- When half set, move the skillet to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the frittata is puffed and golden.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with 1 c. freshly shredded cheese, and fresh or dried chives.
[…] and you need something easy and filling to get you through to dinnertime! I love to whip up a Skillet Frittata and I’ve found that I can chop all the veggies (and ham) up ahead of time and refrigerate […]