Yummy, cheesy, gooey, everyone-friendly, cheesy, burgery soup. What’s not to love?
about 3/4 cup of carrots,
3/4 c. of celery,
and 4 cups of potatoes diced quite small and set them all aside.
Brown 3/4 lb. ground beef with the onion. You really can use anywhere from 1/2-1 lb.–whatever you have on hand.
Now, add in 6 c. of chicken or beef broth and the potatoes and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Oh, and you could definitely add some bacon (I used it as a garnish) and have Bacon Cheeseburger Soup ’cause bacon makes almost everything better, doesn’t it?
- 1 onion
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ¾ c. carrots
- ¾ c. celery*
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 6 c. chicken broth
- 4 c. potatoes
- 4 T. butter
- ½ c. flour
- 1½ c. milk
- 5 (-ish) c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Chop the onion, carrots, celery and potatoes quite small and set them aside.
- Brown ground beef and onion. Drain the grease and add in the carrots and celery and stir.
- Add in the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Add in the chicken or beef broth and the potatoes and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. When combined, let the mixture cook for 2-3 minutes to cook off the flour taste. Slowly whisk in the milk. Whisk until smooth and thickened. It will thicken when it is almost at a boil.
- Add the cheese. Whisk the cheese sauce into the meat/veggie mixture until its all blended and beautiful.
- Garnish with bacon and extra cheese if desired.
*Don’t you hate finding soggy, wilted celery when you need it for a recipe? What I do to keep good celery on hand to cook with–since I use it several times a week–is to freeze it. I chop the entire hunk o’ celery all at once and keep the bag in my freezer door to use at will. I do this with onions as well. Now you know.