For twenty years or so, I have struggled to make chicken breasts taste good. Haven’t we all wished for chicken breasts that actually had flavor whether we needed them shredded or in chunks to use in a recipe? Boiling makes them bland, baking makes them dry. Sautéing is as close as I got.
And then I made these.
These are good for any recipe, but also oh-so-yummy just to eat plain. My family went nuts over them.
They are FANTASTIC in recipes. They are good to eat right out of the pan. Juicy and flavorful, these are chicken breast perfection.
And make them ahead and freeze them individually to pull out, thaw, and use in any recipe for which you need chicken breasts.
And super easy. It’s basically just a really good spice rub made up of the following ingredients:
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Mix them all up and rub it into both sides of 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Heat up a skillet good and hot. I love my cast iron for this for texture and flavor, but whatever skillet you choose needs to be oven proof as well. Add in 2 T. of butter or coconut oil and brown the chicken for about 2-3 minutes per side. It will be beautifully golden.
Put the whole hot skillet full of super hot chicken striaght into the oven and let it bake for 25 minutes. Depending on the thickness of the chicken, 25 minutes should be just about right, but do check the internal temperature making sure it’s at least 165 degrees. Try not to cut into to them too much and release all the yummy juices.
Let the cooked meat rest for about ten minutes before shredding, or dicing, or eating.
And, there ya go! Perfect chicken!
For ease of preparation, I make up several batches of the spice rub ahead of time and keep it in a spice container in my cupboard for anytime I need to quickly make up some chicken.
- 1-1½ lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika (sometimes I used smoked paprika)
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 T. butter or coconut oil
- Mix all the seasonings in a bowl, and rub all of the spices into the boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a skillet nice and hot (I love cast iron), and add in 2 T. coconut oil. Sear the chicken on both sides just until golden brown.
- Put the entire skillet full of browned chicken in the hot oven and let it bake for 25 minutes. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before shredding, dicing or eating.
Total recipe credit belongs to this woman whose recipe changed chicken forever. Thanks for that.