Another tried and true one for ya. This is a recipe I have been making almost as long as I’ve been cooking. It’s one of those homestyle comfort meals that requires pantry ingredients that I usually have on hand. Classic comfort food you will crave all year long. Layers of ground beef, potatoes, and a creamy sauce covered in cheese and corn flakes, this is a go-to family recipe.
My menfolk sing its praises due to its meat-and-potato-iness, and I’m telling you this is one of those meals that makes the house smell soooo good when it’s finishing in the oven.
Begin by browning 1-1.5 lbs. of ground beef with about 1/2 cup of chopped onion. Drain.
And then, thank me for how good your house smells and your meal tastes! :o)
- 1-1/2 lbs. of ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 5-6 russet potatoes
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 c. milk
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1½ c. corn flakes
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
- Brown the ground beef with the onion and drain the grease.
- Scrub the potatoes and slice them thinly.
- Grease a 9x13" pan and layer the beef/onion mixture and then the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cream of mushroom soup, milk, and sour cream. Pour over the potato layer.
- Sprinkle with pepper
- Grate Cheddar cheese and sprinkle over the top.
- Crush the corn flakes and layer them over the top of everything.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 90 minutes or unit the potatoes are fork-tender.