Hot, homemade caramel drizzled over freshly popped popcorn and baked until hot and crunchy! This is the stuff right here.
I have made this every year for Christmas for as long as I can remember. It’s so easy, friends! And lasts longer than Christmas cookies (if you can keep the family paws off of it long enough). Pop it into cute cellophane Christmas bags and gift it, or just lock yourself in the closet with a big bowl and some dental floss. I’ll never tell.
Start by popping 20 cups of popcorn. I’m a stovetop popcorn kinda girl, but however you pop it is up to you. It takes about 1 c. of popcorn kernels to equal 20 cups of popped corn. Spread the popped corn evenly over 2 rimmed baking sheets that have been greased well with coconut oil or butter.
Melt a stick of butter (1/2 c.) in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat.
Add in 2 c. brown sugar,
1 tsp. salt,
and 1/2 c. corn syrup.
Stir this constantly and bring it to a boil. When it reaches a boil, stop stirring and let it boil for 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and add in 1/2 tsp. baking soda and 1 tsp. vanilla. The mixture will foam up; just stir a little more.
Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
Pour the caramel as evenly as possible over the popcorn, and stir it to coat as well as you can. It’s thick and gooey and will continue to melt a bit in the oven and you just don’t need to worry about coating every single piece.
Bake for 30 minutes, stirring well after 15. Let cool a bit in the pans and then break it up and transfer to a bowl.
Of course, you can get all fancy if you want and drizzle it with melted chocolate, white or dark, but we like it just caramel-y and crunchy.
- ½ c. butter
- 2 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ c. corn syrup
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 20 c. popped popcorn (1 c. kernels)
- Pop popcorn to equal 20 cups. Spread evenly in two buttered rimmed baking sheets.
- Melt butter over medium heat and add brown sugar, salt, and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Let boil for four minutes without stirring.
- Remove from heat and add baking soda and vanilla.Stir.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn and stir to coat.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.
- Let cool in pan, and then break into pieces and move to a container to store.