The best food compliment I have ever gotten was, “Alison, that just changed my life.” And when our dear friend Brian first tasted these Change Your Life Mashed Potatoes, that’s exactly what he said — and that’s how this name was born. Quite possibly the most delicious potatoes you’ve ever had in your life, these lovelies are full of all the good stuff — bacon, two cheeses, sour cream, and butter.
And the bonus is that you can make them ahead and keep them in the fridge until it’s bake time!
Brian, if you’re reading this, I still aspire to that standard of compliments whenever I cook or bake anything. :o)
On to the potatoes.
Begin by putting 8 slices of bacon in a skillet to fry up to nice and crisp. When it’s done put it on paper towel to drain to wait for its shining moment.
While the bacon is frying, peel and chop a 5 lb. bag o’ potatoes into smallish pieces.
Bring it to a boil and then lower the temperature and let them simmer for at least 20 minutes or until very tender.
Remove from the heat, drain and drop in an 8 oz. block of cream cheese and 1/2 c. butter, letting the heat of the potatoes melt them to whippability (new word I just made up).
Add in 2 cups of freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, (skip the bagged stuff and grate–it’s soooo soft and good, guys!)
Put this amazingness into a lightly buttered 9×13 (or equivalent) dish and top with another half of a cup of freshly grated cheddar.
This can be refrigerated to bake later or you can go ahead and put it into a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. When it’s finished top with the four remaining chopped up bacon pieces and serve.
(If I would’ve had fresh chives in the house, I would definitely have added those to the top, but rarely does that happen and no one missed them.)
And be prepared to make it again very soon. It’s that good.
- 8 slices of bacon
- 5 lbs. of russet potatoes
- ½ cup butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2½ c. sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp. salt (divided)
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Green onions (chives) optional
- Fry the bacon up nice and crisp and drain on paper towels.
- Peel potatoes and cut into smallish pieces. Put them in a big pot and cover them with water and 1 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil and lower the temperature to simmer for 20 minutes or until very tender.
- Remove from the heat and add the cream cheese, and butter and let them melt.
- Add in sour cream and whip until the lumps are gone.
- Stir in the Cheddar cheese and four of the pieces of bacon.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Put everything into a lightly buttered 9x13" dish and top with another ½ c. of the Cheddar.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Garnish with the remaining 4 pieces of chopped bacon and fresh chives.