I feel so generous to share this with you. Because it is a gift — a really good one. I made this recipe up years ago, and have watched my family turn into Dill Pickle Dip monsters. I wish I had video taped some of the scenes around the pickle dip bowl.
Have you had Polish roses? You know those things people make at Christmas get-togethers where they wrap a green onion in cream cheese and ham? Well, we make them with dill pickles. Perfect combination of sour and savory. Have you had dill pickle potato chips? Same concept. Another favorite is Creamy Garlic Dip with Homemade Potato Chips.
So, I thought, what if we put it all together into one bowl of happiness? And pickle dip was born.
Begin with two room temperature 8 oz. blocks of cream cheese. Pour in 1/4 c. of dill pickle juice from the pickle jar.
Finely mince 3-4 cloves of garlic and add it to the cream cheese along with salt and pepper to taste. I use 1/8-1/4 tsp. each of sea salt and pepper.
Using a mixer, whip it until it is light and fluffy. Continue to add pickle juice a little at a time, up to a total of 1/2 c. until the texture is to your liking. Remember, you’re gonna have to dip a chip in here very soon without it breaking.
Now, chop about 3 whole dill pickles into small pieces. And 6-8 oz. of ham slices as well if you’d like. You can definitely make this without ham. It’s delicious either way. So if you have no ham in the house, you can still enjoy this dip right now.
Fold the ham and pickles in with a spoon, not the mixer or it’ll look pretty nasty pretty fast!
Top with 3 T. green onions if you have them.
I would say refrigerate until the flavors marry, but that does not even have a chance of happening here.
So just eat it, and then thank me.
Serve with hearty chips. We’ve tried ruffled, waffle, kettle, and regular. Kettle seem to be the favorite and they can stand up to a dip quite nicely.
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- ¼-1/2 c. dill pickle juice
- 3 whole dill pickles (amount adjustable to taste)
- sea salt and pepper
- 6-8 oz. deli ham (optional)
- 3 T. Green onions (optional)
- Potato Chips
- Mix cream cheese with about ¼ c. pickle juice.
- Mince 3-4 cloves of garlic and add it to the cream cheese with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a mixer to beat the mixture until creamy, adding pickle juice until the texture is to your liking and chip dippable.
- Chop dill pickles into small pieces and ham into small pieces as well. Ham is optional.
- Fold the ham and pickles into the cream cheese mixture.
- Garnish with green onions if desired.