Somewhere between crunchy and chewy, this Maple Cinnamon Granola is packed with honey, almonds, oats, coconut oil, and cinnamon — and a ton of nourishment.
I think my family could live on this stuff. Seriously, I can’t make it fast enough to get a bowl for myself before these two have plowed through the entire batch. Well worth the cost of using great ingredients in this one!
So, if you make it, do like I try to do and wait ’til everyone is gone so the sweet, toasty fragrance doesn’t draw them in like a pack of wolves before you get your bowl. :o)
In a large bowl mix together:
8 cups oats
1 1/4 c. Ground flax seed or wheat germ (the flax seed must be ground or you lose all nutritional benefit–I buy seeds and grind them in the coffee grinder)
2 c. Almonds (ground up somewhat in the food processor)
You can substitute any nuts here, but we like the crunch of almonds.
I also add in 1/2 cup of coconut if I have some in stock.
In a heavy pan, heat to boiling:
1 c. Honey,
1/4 c. Pure maple syrup,
1/2 c. Brown sugar (you can omit the brown sugar and add in an extra 1/2 of honey if you’d like),
1 c. Coconut oil,
2-3 tsp. cinnamon,
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt,
And 2-3 tsp. vanilla.
Pour syrup mixture over oat mixture and stir to coat. Spread evenly on two, lightly greased (I use coconut oil) jelly roll size pans (my air bake does great–older thinner pan tends to burn the granola) and bake until toasted in ten minute intervals, stirring each 10, for a total of twenty minutes at 325 degrees.
For crunchier granola, cook in five minute intervals until desired texture.
Let cool, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick together too much, and store in airtight containers. Add dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, raisins if they sound yummy!)
It’s perfect as is, with milk, in yogurt, or even on ice cream with fruit.
Or how about in a batch of Tropical Crunch Muffins?!
- 8 c. rolled oats (not the quick-cook kind)
- 1¼ c. ground flax seed or wheat germ
- 2 c. almonds
- 1 c. raw honey
- ¼ c. pure maple syrup
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 1 c. coconut oil
- 2-3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- 2-3 tsp. vanilla
- ½ c. coconut (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix oats, flaxseed or wheat germ, almonds, and coconut.
- In a heavy pan, heat honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, coconut oil, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla to a boil.
- Pour the syrup mixture over the oat mixure and stir to coat. Spread evenly on two lightly greased rimmed baking sheets.
- Bake until toasted in ten minutes intervals, stirring every 10, for a total of twenty minutes in a preheated 325 degree oven (longer for crunchier granola).
- Let cool, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick together too much.
- Store in airtight containers when fully cooled.