Superior because that’s the spectacularly beautiful, pure lake that provides us with these outstanding fish, and superior because that’s what this dip is! Superior Smoked Whitefish Dip is a crowd-pleasing dip packed with lemon, dill, garlic, and the star of the show: flaky, smoked whitefish.
Can’t get smoked whitefish? Any smoked, flaky fish should do. But, if you haven’t had the life privilege of eating our fish from our fantastic freshwater sea, add it to your bucket list. Come check out the unique beauty that is Lake Superior; there is nothing like it in the world!
And then make this because, YUM!!
And yes, for you Yoopers who notice my cutting board is in the shape of the mitten and not the Yoop (which it should be), please don’t hate. I am in need of the right shape, and let’s face it, most folks know Michigan by the hand so we can just keep our part a little secret until someone wants to bless me with the correct shape cutting board. Ahem. Anyone? ;o)
This dip comes together in minutes! Start by gently tearing your beautiful whitefish into small, bite-sized pieces — 2 cups worth — and setting aside.
In a large bowl, mix 12 oz. cream cheese with the following ingredients:
2 T. real mayonnaise
2 T. lemon juice plus zest if desired
1/2 c. onion diced very fine or grated if preferred
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. fresh garlic
1/2 tsp. dill weed or 2 T. fresh dill (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients well with a hand mixer and if it’s possible to wait and not dig right in, let it chill for a couple hours to let all those flavors get to know each other well.
I love these served on thin rice cakes for my lunch, or if you’re serving it as an appetizer, crackers, rye toast, or bagel chips would be great as well. Serve with fresh lemon wedges and be prepared to WOW them all!
- 2 c. smoked whitefish or smoked fish of choice.
- 12 oz. cream cheese with the following ingredients:
- 2 T. real mayonnaise
- 2 T. lemon juice plus zest if desired
- ½ c. onion diced very fine or grated if preferred
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T. fresh garlic
- ½ tsp. dill weed or 2 T. fresh dill (or to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thin rice cakes, crackers, rye toast, or bagel chips.
- Gently break smoked fish into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Use a hand mixer to blend remaining ingredients well. Cool for 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with crackers and lemon wedges.
And here’s some fun information about my favorite place in the world!